George Barna refers to as the backbone of the church. (p. xvi). According to Barna, between 1991 and 2011:
- Adult women attending church during any week has declined by 20%.
- Women attending Sunday School has plummeted by 29%.
- The percentage of women who are characterized as “unchurched” has risen by 94% during this period.
- More than a third of all women are now unconnected from the church.
- Most weekly church attenders are women (53%) – and they bring their families.
- Most church volunteers are women (57%).
- Women are the majority in terms of attendance of adult Sunday school programs (59%).
- 60% of those who attend small groups or Bible study are women.
- The typical Christian in America is a woman age 56-59 (a.k.a. a dying breed)